The Wife of Bath
Hmmm......
Well this lady is most definitely a blatherskyte. Not exactly shy either. She must have been a nightmare to have been married too. I wonder how closely she was modeled on a real person.
How frustrating she must have found life! Imagine being told how dreadful you are all the time yet being sought and quite smart. Well, smart is subjective, a good manager let's say. This is a girl who has managed to acquire a good bit for herself despite a string of men who were probably not all overly good with money. She doesn't seem the least bit put off by the presence of nobility and is quite well read (or at least she has retained a good bit of lecturing).
I expect that whoever she was based on, she or they amused Chaucer. He gives her so much color and vivacity that I think he must have enjoyed writing about her.
Well this lady is most definitely a blatherskyte. Not exactly shy either. She must have been a nightmare to have been married too. I wonder how closely she was modeled on a real person.
How frustrating she must have found life! Imagine being told how dreadful you are all the time yet being sought and quite smart. Well, smart is subjective, a good manager let's say. This is a girl who has managed to acquire a good bit for herself despite a string of men who were probably not all overly good with money. She doesn't seem the least bit put off by the presence of nobility and is quite well read (or at least she has retained a good bit of lecturing).
I expect that whoever she was based on, she or they amused Chaucer. He gives her so much color and vivacity that I think he must have enjoyed writing about her.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home